[Coco] Re: Help using the Coco3 with a 1084S-D2 Monitor

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Nov 12 14:32:01 EST 2003

On Wednesday 12 November 2003 13:42, Hank wrote:
>Torsten,
>

>I have a NTSC Coco3 with the newer Gime Chip.
>
>Can I make internal Adjustmets inside the 1084S-D2 Monitor?
>
>Hank

Be extremely carefull in there Hank, there are voltages in there that
can not only give you nasty burns, but can kill.  High voltage at the
side of the crt is around 27 kilovolts.  Thats not normaly lethal
unless applied directly across the chest area because its current
limited to around a milliamp or so, but it can darned sure get your
attention in a manner you'll remember the rest of your life.

WRT the synch problem, I'd expect you'll have to do there what many of
us did for the maggy monitors, which are very similar, and which
commie did right inside the molded plug of their special amiga
cables.  Hidden away inside that plastic db23's molding is a cmos
(thats why its so easily damaged, an lsttl works just as well, I've
done that) to buffer the sync signals and bring them up to about 4
volts.  I suspect you may have to do a similar operation for the
coco.  It was done on the amiga's because the agnus chip had
overcurrent sensors in it that shut it down if it tried to drive too
many 75 ohm loads.  It could drive the rgb lines ok, but add a 75 ohm
load on the synch lines and it shut itself down.  That monitor has 75
ohm terminations on every signal line going into it, and I don't
think the gime is up to hitting a low ohms load like that with enough
voltage to make the monitor see it.  And its probably warming up the
gime trying, which isn't good for a chip thats almost made out of
unobtainium today.

Any old NAND gate, used 2 in series so the polarity isn't changed,
should do it just fine.

On the box box amiga's, tehre was a 5 volt powered pin to supply that
chip, but I don't recall if the coco3 can be rigged to do that or
not.