[Coco] Re: Help using the Coco3 with a 1084S-D2 Monitor

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Nov 12 11:44:00 EST 2003

Torten

I seriously doubt that there is timing issues. The NTSC HSYNC signal is essentially
the xtal frequency divided by 1820 and the VSYNC is the xtal divided by 477272 +/-
. To loose sync, the crystal will really have to be way out of whack. To move the
horizontal frequency 1 Hertz requires the xtal to move 1820 Hertz. About the most
you can reliable warp a third overtone crystal is +5KHz/-15KHz.  Also the xtal will
stop oscillating before one can shift it enough to effect the vertical frequency.

Now drive levels from the GIME chip is a potential cause. The GIME chip drives an
inverter and the PIA chip U5. For the PAL versions, the inverters drive a composite
sync circuit and the RGB port. My suspect is that VR2 is not adjusted properly
and/or that the circuit to create a composite sync signal for the PAL encoder is
may provide marginal drive to the Comodore monitor.

I also seem to remember that LS TTL have poorer noise immunity than the old TTL
devices. That maybe due in part to the fact that the input impeadances of the two
are remarkably different. In an LS TTL device you drive the base of a transistor
through a Schotky diode. In TTL you are driving the emitter of a common base
configured bipolar transistor. Also in the LS TTL the input transistor is seldom driven
to full saturation!

regards
james