[Coco] Gcc Cross compiler Win32 host - Progress.

David dbree at duo-county.com
Mon Nov 10 12:02:00 EST 2003

Hi, John, looks like you've been working :)

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 08:04:40PM -0500, John E. Malmberg wrote:

> Following in the footsteps of:
> http://skwirl.ca/coco/gcc.html
>
> It has taken about 2 days, but I have finally gotten the configure
> script to apparently run successfully for gcc on a Windows 2000 system,
> and now I am starting the make script.
>
> I am making a log of the progress.  So far, all the tools needed are
> available open source and through the Internet.  I am not sure if it is
> too long for a post, but I will see if I can put it up for www access later.

I grabbed the log.  I'll include it here, too with [LOG] prepended for
clarity.

> You need quite a bit of cygwin installed.
> [LOG] > I ran the cygwin installer to install the main utilities and the
> [LOG] > GCC compiler kits including the mingw variants.  This was only
> [LOG] > partually successful.

Do you mean the mingw part was only partially successful?  On that, did
you install both MinGW _and_ Msys?  I'm not really clear on all the
workings of these Windows systems, but basically as I understand it,
MinGW is the development part and Msys is the operating system that
makes it work like a linux or unix environment.  There is some
interoperability between cygwin and msys, but I don't think the
binaries, such as bash, etc, from one system will work under the other.

> The hassles encountered were:
>
> The stock configure scripts were not able to determine the build host
> type.  It needed to be specified as --host=msdos, as this was the
> closest of the available choices.

Are you doing all this from an MS-DOS command line?  In cygwin, can you
run within some kind of cygwin environment?  With mingw (I have it
installed, but haven't tried much with it.  you then just click on the
MSys icon and you are presented with a window in which you operate just
like you were on a linux machine or kinda like on an OS9 machine.

Also, you might be able to set some bash environment variables to let
the environment be known.

> Some of the scripts were unable to create files in a temp directory
> created by the script.

Reckon this was a permissions problem?

> The stock configure scripts gcc or fastjar were unable do determine the
> endian type for fixed and floating on my Pentium class processor.

Again, I wonder.. Is this from an MS-Dos prompt?  As you can no doubt
see, I'm a bit vague on cygwin.

> As I write this, the make failed because I am building against gcc
> 3.3.1.  A new #define is needed in m6809.h
>
> #define GLOBAL_ASM_OP "\t.globl "
>
> The make script is running for the second time as I type this.
>
> More changes for GCC 3.3.1 were found.  Apparently they have simplified
> the interface for cross assemblers.  So some code needs to be commented
> out of m6809h.  The GCC build poisons the definions to cause it to be
> obvious.

I found this out, too.  I reverted back to making under gcc-2.95.  Umm..
I just looked.  Some of the macros, like FUNCTION_PROLOGUE, have been
replaced by different names, in this case, TARGET_ASM_FUNCTION_PROLOGUE.
I don't know if I had changed this or not.  I don't recall if this was
one of them or not.  In this case, I believe they want you now to to
create an RTL for "prologue" in the machine description file.

As far as simply commenting them out, I would assume that they will all
be needed in some form or another.

> My short term goal is to get something working and documented so that
> others can share in the fun.
>
> I posted something a little bit ago on the GCC-COCO-OS-9 list.  I have
> no idea how many are on that list.  I do not know if the archives are
> working.

Where's this list?  Is there any activity on it?  I'd like to get it.
I've been trying to get a gcc-os9 compiler going but have not been
having much success.

> I have mess also running on the Windows 2000 with COCO 3 and COCO 2 roms.
>
> I have not yet connected a virtual hard drive to it so that I can start
> running programs on it.
>
> I have not studied enough of MESS to be able to do this yet.

Do you have Boisy's os9tools?  I believe os9 format will format a HD,
too.. What I did was to simply copy over a vhd I had created under Jeff
Vavasour's emulator.  One caveat, though.  you may need to extend the
drive to its full size.  That is, when you first format the HD (and
virtual floppies, too, I believe the file itself is only what is needed
for the tables, etc.  I think that some versions of mess may crash if it
tries to extend the size of the virtual disk.  May be wrong on this,
though.  Hmm.. just looked.. os9 format has an option to write the full
disk..  Another thing, I'm not sure what I did, but you might want to
create a descriptor for the HD that was SS, and just make a lot of
tracks.  There may still be sides issues with the RBF stuff, cannot
recall.

> On my system, the MESS COCO only seems to run full screen, I have not
> yet managed to get it to run in a window.  VNC is not able to serve it
> well for remote access.  Keystrokes are lost.

Mess seems to take quite a bit of CPU power.  I only have a P-166 and
xmess is practically unusable - and that's at the console, not remote.