[Coco] Ham Radio

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Nov 10 11:54:01 EST 2003

That is KA9Q software.

The last itme I used packet here in So. Fla it was a mess. About 8 yrs ago. Half the
state was Rose, (northern part) and the other, (southern part) was Net One. just to
get a connection from Ft. Lauderdale to Jacksonville required the right phase of the
moon. Jupiter needed to be in Sagitarius and the wind had to be out of the south.
Then you might have the connection for about an hour before some link in the
middle failed. Typical hop was Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Myers, to Sarasota, to
Aracadia, to Orlando,  to Ocala, to Palatka, then to Jacksonvile. The link from
Arcadia to Orlando was the weakest one. At 430 Mhz it had the longest haul. Using
400Mhz around the east central part of the state is limited. Cape Kennedy and
Patrick AFB restricted radiated power. Essentially there was a wall in central
Florida, Considerig MacDill AFB in Tampa, McCoy NAS in Orlando and the Cape
on the east coast.. McCoy is gone now and McDill AFB has reduced importance so
that should have freed up a lane to the north.

One of these days I may just check again to see if the service is more reliable and
better performance.

james

WA4BZJ