[Coco] mess build problems.

David dbree at duo-county.com
Fri Nov 7 07:30:08 EST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 11:10:48PM -0500, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> I am trying to build MESS under GNV (GNU oN VMS)
> GNV provides a UNIX tool set and a BASH shell to OpenVMS.
>
> make gets to the point:
>
>    File `osdepend' does not exist.
>    Finished prerequisites of target file `osdepend'.
>   Must remake target `osdepend'.
> make: execvp: sh: no such file or directory
> Putting child 0x0011ac08 (osdepend) PID 0 on the chain.
> Live child 0x0011ac08 (osdepend) PID 0
> make: *** wait: no children.  Stop.
> make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> Live child 0x0011ac08 (osdepend) PID 0
> make: *** wait: no children.  Stop.
> bash$
>

> Apparently it is trying to produce an osdepends.obj, but I can not find
> any source files for it, or how any source files are created for it.
>
> The closest I can find to a source is an osdepends.h file.

I just did a search on my mess directory and found :

$ find src/xmess/ -name "osdepend*"
src/xmess/src/osdepend.h
src/xmess/xmess.obj/unix.x11/osdepend.a

the osdepends.a file is the one to be created.

execvp is a library function.  Try 'man execvp'.  If there is no
manpage, you probably need to install something.  I have no idea what it
would be on your system.  Here's what I found on mine  (Debian)

$ grep -r execvp /usr/include/
/usr/include/unistd.h:extern int execvp (__const char *__file, char
*__const __argv[]) __THROW;

On my system, this file is provided by libc6-dev.  I couldn't find any
library files with the name "exec*" except under perl directories.  You
might check to see if you have a header file named "unistd.h", and go
from there.  Of course your system might go by different names.

I know this is all pretty vague, but maybe it will give you a starting
point.

Umm.. One last idea!!!  Perhaps you need to edit your Includes paths in
your Makefile..  Your header might be somewhere besides where xmess
defaults to look.