[Coco] Re: 6309 microprocessor project: 11-05-2003

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Thu Nov 6 23:28:00 EST 2003

At 10:05 AM 11/6/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Steeman, Fedor writes:
>>I mean, I like MESS, but the problem is that it does not help you much in
>>e.g. transferring files back and forth to the PC-environment. Then it is
>>going back down to Jeff's original DSKINI.EXE and RETRIEVE.EXE.
>
>This is not 100% correct; MESS does have the Imgtool program which allows
>one to transfer RS-DOS programs back and forth from disk images.  It is a
>command line program, so some might find it harder to use than
>RETRIEVE.EXE, but it also supports VDK and DMK disk images.
>As for an equivalent of DSKINI.EXE, there is not much chance at all of
>avoiding MS-DOS given how Windows does not like 5 1/4" drives.

This is true.  It took me forever to realize that imgtool.exe was
there  But don't expect a PORT.EXE visual rep of things... it's all command
line stuff.  And there's semi-support for .cas files as well.

imgtool create coco_rsdos_dsk mygames.dsk --tracks=35 --sectors=18 --heads=1
imgtool put coco_rsdos_dsk mygames.dsk chess.bin --ftype=2

you now have a blank 35-track floppy disk (mygames.dsk) containing the file
(chess.bin) which is LOADMable.

What imgtool won't do is create 2-sided images with the --heads=2
option.  And none of my DMK creations will show anything when mounted in
M.E.S.S.  you can do a DIR and it's blank.  I'll do more testing in this area.