[Coco] Re: CoCo gcc project

Theodore A. Evans alxevans at concentric.net
Mon Nov 3 20:18:06 EST 2003

On 11/03/03, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

> Another advantage of FPGAs is that, as the 68882 becomes more obsolete and
> hard to get, you can keep moving your FPGA design into more recent
> versions of Xilinx or competitor's chips. The language used to represent
> the logic functions is independent of the chip architecture, so should
> transfer easily.

As to the matter of price, I dare say that he was quoting for faster
m68882 as in large lots they can sell for as little as $22.50 each.
We won't be buying them in lots that big.  In addition, I am sure that
there is more functionality in one than you are likely to fit in a
single 150,000 gate FPGA.  Finally Motorola still manufactures the
m68882, considers it a mature design open for new designs, and has not
published plans to quit providing it in the future.

--
Bad COMMAND! BAAADD COMMAND! Sit! STAYYYYY!
Theodore (Alex) Evans            | alxevans at concentric.net
94-1071 Kepakepa St. Unit #C-1   | http://www.concentric.net/~alxevans
Waipahu, HI 96797                | ICQ 78089262
x                                | (808) 676-0123         2B v ~2B = ?