[Coco] CoCo gcc project

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Nov 2 14:06:00 EST 2003

Tim:

I was thinking the same. Since the code is already an OS9 module, all the compiler
will have to do is either stack or register the two floating point numbers and do an
OS9 link to the module.

The code in the 6839 is a OS9 multi-module and was announced in the 1983 8-Bit
microprocessor databook. It never appeared in any later datatbook releaes. It is not
even certain that Motorola ever shipped the part. From the RSTI archives is a file
called FP09 and here is a quote from it:

"From archamba at ERE.UMontreal.CA Sun Mar 13 11:00:22 CST 1994:
40 of comp.sys.m6809: comp.sys.m6809:
sandv!vpnet!tellab5!laidbak!psinntp!psinntp!newsserver.pixel.k
odak.com!rpi!utcsri!newsflash.concordia.ca!CC.UMontreal.CA!arc
hamba: archamba at ERE.UMontreal.CA (Archambault Benoit): Re:
6809 math packageID: <CMI5tw.A70 at cc.umontreal.ca>:
news at cc.umontreal.ca (Administration de Cnews): Universite de
Montreal: Fri, 11 Mar 1994 13:37:06 GMT: 717

                                   F P O 9

                    Floating point routines for the 6809

                  Written for Motorola by Joel Boney, 1980
             Released into the public domain by Motorola in
1988
        Docs and apps for Tandy Color Computer by Rich Kottke,
1989"

>From this it appears that Motoroal released the code to public
domain in 1988. The .S19 file I have. I also have the 1983
databook. There maybe no licensing issues other than the GNU
public licensing. Also the code may have been totally written
before IEEE 754-1985 was adopted. The source will need to be
reviewed to make sure that it does.

james