[Coco] Re: gcc-coco revisited

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Nov 1 22:34:00 EST 2003

In a message dated 11/1/03 2:30:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dbree at duo-county.com writes:

> Yes, that is it, I think.  And, as Theodore stated, the Microware C
>  compiler works this way.. cc creates a series of commands that calls
>  the individual phases/programs in sequence.  Seems like someone
>  modified it, or else suggested a way to manually create a compile
>  script, that would pipe the output of one phase into the input of
>  another, if you have enough memory.  I tried it on a few things
>  and it did, indeed, speed things up.

Right.  It seems like a dozen people came up with their own "compiler
drivers" that issued commands to the actual compiler phases.  I started by just
writing a script to pipe the stages together (don't bother on L1).  But later on I
found you got more speed by running each phase separately, but with
intermediate result files on RAM Disk instead of HD or floppy.

I finally wrote my own RcR driver, to let me tap in my CNoY filter.  Other
guys' drivers let you replace or add in other phases as well.  --Mike K.