[Coco] gcc-coco revisited

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Sat Nov 1 03:30:03 EST 2003

At 11:00 AM 10/31/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>You can't write really efficient 6809 code without it!  Global variables rule!
>--Mike K.

50/50   .. global/local  :)

With the 6809 and a modular component program, there is an art of
separating local/global variables and DP/extended addresss variables,
that's for sure!  Projector-3 combines all 4 in away that 1) lets temporary
components/modules use some of the DP space for speed, 2) doesn't hog the
DP space with infrequent or temporary variables, 3) lets each component
have a huge local extended variable section, 4) lets all parts of the
system, all components, know everything it *needs* to know by sharing a
global variable section, which I placed in the DP area.

P.S.
I still say 100% assembly for the CoCo can't be matched with any compiler
there is, with optomizer or not.  I know too much.  :)