[Coco] Portal-9 1.2

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Sun Nov 30 01:22:00 EST 2003

I just boosted Portal-9 up a notch.  Version 1.2 should be ready in a few days.

Now you'll be able to create massive software on ROM or virtual disk since
each file in the project can be built onto a different image.  I started
this as a way to avoid having to create a new project for each disk meant
to be part of a single software title, etc.

As an example, I have easily set up the Projector-3 project to also build a
demo picture disk.  How easy was this?
10 short steps in this case:

I loaded the Projector-3 project (projector-3.por).
I clicked on "Add Binary Component".
I browsed to a file called "6809cpu.bmp" in my picture directory.
The file got its own Hex editor class window and was added to the project.
For this file, I typed into the 'disk image name' field on the left panel,
"pics".
I clicked Go.  The project built with a readout telling me everything going on.
M.E.S.S. popped up with Drive 0 mounted with p3.dsk, and Drive 1 mounted
with pics.dsk
I typed RUN "BOOT" and P-3 fired up.
When P-3 started, I hit the "1" key, and the Drive 1 directory showed up
with my picture in it.
I hit ENTER and the picture loaded and displayed.

Now those steps are reduced to 5 because the project state has been saved
automatically (or manually) after I added the other project components I
wanted (the picture and it's own disk).  So when I reload the P-3 project,
I can just click Go!

This is only a light example of what is possible and extremely easy to
do.  I've automated almost everything.  You can easily add new virtual disk
names into the list and route each project component to it's own disk, to
create any number of disks.  However, if you're automatically launching and
mounting your images in M.E.S.S., it is wise to only create a 2-disk
project... even though 4 can be mounted.

Another example out of 1,000 that comes to mind is the easy ability to
build a bunch of ROM programs onto virtual disk(s), so that when ran from a
real CoCo, you could burn them to EPROM using CoCo software.  In this kind
of project, you would simply Add Source Components to the project which
would get assembled to .ROM files because you simply clicked on that option
in a drop-down list, and in the Virtual Disk fields, you would type your
disk image name(s).

{Roger Taylor}