[Coco] Drive speed incompatibilities

Steeman, Fedor FSteeman at zmuc.ku.dk
Mon Nov 10 06:36:01 EST 2003

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me!

I recently replaced my two really old floppy drives with a single unit combining a newer floppy drive 0 with a new diskette drive 1 I bought at vintagefunworld.com. This was meant to easily moving files back and forth between my PC and CoCo. It works fine with running programs downloaded from the internet on my CoCo. But I also had a plan to backup all my old floppies to diskettes and then pop these into the PC to convert them to virtual disks. However, I am not getting anywhere, because the new floppy drive cannot read my old floppies !

I was told this may have to do with differing drive speeds and I am pretty sure now that it is that. I have then tried to connect my old drive0 to the newer drives in all possible kinds of permutations, but I just cannot seem to get them to work together!

Another solution would be a program called COLORTAC.BIN, which helps in determining and adjusting the drive speed. Could anyone pass me a copy of this or give some other suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Thanks!

Fedor