[Coco] Re: Wikipedia in trouble

David dbree at duo-county.com
Tue Dec 30 09:42:29 EST 2003

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 07:57:12PM -0300, Richard E. Crislip wrote:
> Hello David
>
> On 12/29/03, David wrote:
> >> On 29 Dec 2003, Neil Morrison wrote:

RE:  Automatic bank withdrawals

> > This doesn't make a lot of sense.  It looks like if entity X was
> > authorized to make a-w's, they could do so, and if they weren't
> > authorized, then they couldn't.  It seems to me that all I should have
> > had to do was go in and say, "CIS no longer is authorized to make
> > a-w's", and maybe sign something. But from the way they talked to me,
> > if I go in and authorize X to do a-w's and Y finds out about it,
> > then Y can come in and start taking money out for themselves.
> >
> > Maybe I was just talking to someone who didn't know what they were
> > doing, or my bank isn't very knowledgable in these things, but if they
> > are on track, then this system doesn't sound very secure at all.
>
> How long ago was that? Surely things have improved since then. It sounds
> like your experience was sometime ago.

It's been some time ago - probably 10 years.

> Please understand I'm not belittling
> or anything like that, I'm searching for clarification.

Not taken as such.  As I said before, I'm not sure it's accurate myself,
but this how it was told me by people who _should_ know.  And I could
have interpreted it all wrong, but it left me with serious doubts about
the security of such an arrangement.