[Coco] Coco's Origin Date

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Dec 28 23:41:32 EST 2003

Well if Tandy was getting ready to sell them for the 1980 Christmas season then
they would start to ship to the stores in September/October time frame. They would
be expecting their suppliers to have the units to them by the end of July. So the
stores would have knowledge of the upcoming product release date by late July.
The district managers would be in the know by say June or maybe even May.
Chances are that some friends of regional managers may have been alerted to the
up coming release. I was good friends with a store manager and he told me he gets
word of sales about three months in advance. I was given heads up warning that he
Coco 3 was being dicontinued and that much of the items he had were going to be
on sale about 2 months in advance. I got MultiVue, and the Multipak interface plus a
bunch of games and the nice pistol grip game controller on sale. It was great until
he transferred out of the region. It was nice to know when stuff was going on sale
ahead of time.

In the consumer market Christmas stuff is wanted by retailers in July. Stores like
Target, Walmart, Kmart and such all want sufficient stock for Christams
merchandise in warehouse by July. They want to make sure they have the
merchandise before the flyers go out for announcement. They do not want to get
into a situation where flyers and anouncements go out and the have to say that the
product is not available. Could lead to the cries of bait and switch ads. That gets the
FTC down on their backs and a black eye from the consumers.

My guess if that report appeared in September's issue, stock was being shipped to
the stores as that was being read. Probably not on the shelfs until October.

james