[Coco] Republishing Magazines

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Dec 26 23:48:42 EST 2003

On Friday 26 December 2003 22:58, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

[...]

>Republication is any publication after first publication. That much
> is not in dispute. My contracts have allowed first publication
> only. That has been how I specified them. That means no volumes, no
> compilations, no half-size, no plastic, no microfilm, no CDs, no
> web pages, no future info-crystals or holo-banks. My work was not
> so-called "work for hire". I retained rights after first
> publication.

I've often been rather outspoken about copyrights, and I'd like to lay
an idea on you for reaction.

I would like to see a copyright made non-transferable.  Regardless of
what else they do to make it last the life of the composer + another
1000 years or whatever, we should retain that the copyright is the
author/composers in perpetuity.

I'd also like to see the period reduced back to the time limits as
existed in say 1950, and because the amount of info available rises
almost exponentially, there are some fields where I'd like to see
copyright terms reduced in order to facilitate progress by way of the
accelerated free use, like to maybe 5 years for software.  Thats an
eon in software time.

IMO music should be longer in order for the author to have realised
the maximum income from the sale it it, so 25 years seems reasonable
to me.  Music doesn't get stale if its good, but why are we still
paying somebody a royalty everytime somebody sings Happy Birthday?
IMO thats dumb, and we're even dumber when we allow it.

That wouldn't preclude the copyright holder from entering into a
contract with the Joe Schmoe Publishing Company for their exclusive
right to publish his work in whatever media is the current media,
deriving x dollars of profit etc etc.  This contract could be binding
for a fixed period of time or as long as the J.S.Publishing Company
finds it profitable to do so, and the payments to the author are made
according to the terms of the contract.  However, if J.S.Publishing
doesn't find it profitable, or they renege in makeing the royalty
payment, then the contract is null and void and the copyright holder,
aka the author, is then free to proceed with another publishing
arrangement.

To me, the actual sale of a copyright is a bit like taking your
firstborn son to the mountain, along with 2 donkeys carrying panniers
full of firewood.  Only I wouldn't count on the burning bush speaking
to me at the last second.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M