[Coco] Re: talk funny

Richard E. Crislip rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Thu Dec 25 16:31:24 EST 2003

Hello Roger

On 12/25/03, Roger Taylor wrote:
> At 04:14 PM 12/23/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>> I'm from the upper mid-west so I might be a bit biased, but I seem to
>> remember that many national newscasters in the US need special training
>> to talk "mid-western", which seems to be some sort of standard for
>> broadcasting. Does this mean that we in Minnesota are sort of a melting
>> pot of accents? I know we have some funny expressions ("you betcha",
>> "pop" instead of soda, "hot dish" for that hot mixture of food served in
>> one pan", etc.). How would you non-Minnesotans describe our accent?
>
> We are aware that "pop" is used up North so that's just one out of a
> thousand or more words that sets "ya'll" off. :) Down here you hear "soda"
> or "soda pop", or even the term "Coke" meant to describe all soda brands.
> "Get me a coke while you're in there..." Any brand can usually come back,
> but I wouldn't second guess just anybody. We use "you betcha" all the
> time. A lot of slang from the South is used up North, and vice-versa.

In Virginia I heard Coler use to decribe the softdrink 8-). It was a Big Boy
restaurant in Newport News. Of course it was also 35 years ago 8-).

> Watch the movie "Bruce Allmighty" and notice that Bruce's girlfriend says
> " idn't it? " when she thinks he is proposing in the restaurant. Everybody
> takes shortcuts in their speech, not just Southerners. I think we even
> invented, " idn't " to mean "isn't ". I have no clue.

Great movie

> Also, a "hot dish" down here is exactly that.. a hot dish. In other words,
> don't touch it or you'll burn your hand. :)

Well here in Ohio a touching "Hot Dish" might get you slapped or even
arrested! 8-)

Regards
--
Cruisen                                                     _|_
              on AutoPilot with an Amiga   ---o-( )-o---   and a CoCo

                                             Richard