[Coco] Embedded CoCo

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Dec 24 22:19:25 EST 2003

jim

What actually peaked my interest in a 6809 SBC was that I came
across software and a board design that controlled a telescope. It
did in 64K almost all what the Meade Autostar 492 unit did with an
HC11 and 512K of flash. Needles to say it perked my interest.

On downloading the software and nearly pulling what very  little of
my remaining hair ontop of my head, I saw this breif little phrase in
the binary file :

Fig Forth.

After some breif searches on the internet and so education. I
concluded that the contrtoller software was written in Forth. An
interesting languange/os. It uses every register in the 6809 as
pointers. Basically it is a stack oriented and extensible language/os.
>From a base dictionary,  one can created higher functins and word
definitions from the base.

Awkward to write for but very compact and relatively fast execution.

james