[Coco] Re: OT -- Linux hardware

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Wed Dec 24 18:30:36 EST 2003

Dave Kelly wrote:

> The MB is 'TYAN  S2390B  Trinity KT-A,  socket A AMD Duron/Athlon Single
> processor  ATX Form Factor'

My Athlon is a TYAN S2380, it is a Slot A.  but Linux had problems with
this board, it was very slow.  It had ATA100 drives, but there is a
known problem with the drivers for the VIA IDE chipset.  It was only
capable of ATA33.  There is a kernel patch, but I chose not to run Linux
on it anyways, since I was just playing.  My server is a old Dell
Pentium 166 that is maxed out with 64MB.  (How come 64MB is MAX is
beyond me)  Anyways that booted faster than the Athlon 600.

There was also some other VIA patches for Linux.  My "new" server is
going to be a old PII 233 with 128MB as soon as I finish setting it up
to mimic the old except instead of running Mandrake 8.2 it will be
running Mandrake 9.2.

~David Hazelton