[Coco] OT -- Linux hardware

Merv Curley mervc at eol.ca
Tue Dec 23 00:06:57 EST 2003

On December 20, 2003 10:47 pm, Dave Kelly wrote:

> I would like to replace the mother board. I could not find an exact
> duplicate here in Houston but did find what I think to be an equivilant.
> My question is:
> Will this be as simple as take all the plugins ( CPU, memory, etc )
> switching them over to the new MB and installing it?

I have moved hard drives etc from a AMD k6-3 processor MB to quite new
Athlon series with no problems.  You will probably want newer high speed
memory to go with the new processor.  It isn't worth it to upgrade to an
equivilent MB, in my opinion.  Next year we'll be upgrading to 64 bit
processors.

As already mentioned if your kernel has been seriously specialized for the
old MB, you might have a problem but everything else probably doesn't know
about microprocessors, memory etc.

--
Merv Curley

Scarborough,  Ont

Libranet Linux  2.8   KDE 3.1.4   KMail 1.5.4