[Coco] M.E.S.S. Printing

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Dec 20 02:26:03 EST 2003

On Saturday 20 December 2003 02:07, Gene Heskett wrote:
[...]
>Anyway, PNG was written originally to get around the lemple-zev
>compression patent owned by unisys.  It would up morphing into
>something even more capable in the form of PNM, for Portable Network
>Movies I believe is what that stands for.

Correction, lemple-zev-welch, aka lzw.  And, except for the block
sorting bzip2, still the best compression I'm aware of today.

But bzip2 can occasionally make a mistake during recovery, depending
on the phase of the moon and your choice of chew.  The mistake will
be invisible, but the code won't compile until you blow that tree
away and unpack it again.  Sometimes you even have to re-download it.
Un-Funny thing is, the md5sums of the bad file and the good file are
the same.  So if the site gives me a choice, I usually grab the 20%
larger .gz version, I know it works.

Also "It would" s/b "It wound".

>Your history lesson for the day, as recalled by Gene :-)

Darned fingers don't always type what I think :(