[Coco] imgtool

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Fri Dec 19 15:20:16 EST 2003

At 08:29 AM 12/19/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>arikboke at yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>Folks,
>>
>>Some please explain to me why BASIC comes in 'BASIC binary" and 'BASIC
>>ascii'. Are not BASIC sources supposed to be .TXT files?  Also, when
>>placed onto
>>virtual diskettes via IMGTOOL in MESS, often times I am unable to access said
>>files (neither ASCII nor binary).  I keep getting "FM? ERROR ..." or some
>>variants.  Have they become corrupt?
>Binary BASIC files are tokenized, whereas ASCII BASIC files are straight
>text.  Additionally, there is a file type and if this file type is
>incorrectly specified, you will get a "?FM ERROR".  By default MESS
>attempts to write files as binary and you will have to tell IMGTOOL to
>write the file as ASCII BASIC.
>
>I also see that the flags to do this appear to be broken in IMGTOOL for
>MESS 0.77.  I'll make sure that this is fixed for the next version.

Dear Nathan,

The flags in imgtool.exe from .77 were changed from numbers to actual
names.  I thought this was an improvement rather than a bug. :)   Anyway,
I'm always a few tip-taps away from supporting the latest version of
imgtool from my IDE.

A few trimmed snips of mine:
// from code used for imgtool .74 or so, commented out in case imgtool goes
back to the old way
         str.cpy("--ftype=2 --ascii=B", tmpstr);
         str.cpy("--ftype=1 --ascii=A --filter=ascii", tmpstr);
         str.cpy("--ftype=3 --ascii=B", tmpstr);
         str.cpy("--ftype=0 --ascii=A --filter=ascii", tmpstr);
         str.cpy("--ftype=0 --ascii=B", tmpstr);

// .77 support
         str.cpy("--ftype=binary --ascii=binary", tmpstr);
         str.cpy("--ftype=data --ascii=ascii --filter=ascii", tmpstr);
         str.cpy("--ftype=data --ascii=binary", tmpstr);
         str.cpy("--ftype=assembler --ascii=ascii", tmpstr);
         str.cpy("--ftype=basic --ascii=ascii --filter=ascii", tmpstr);
         str.cpy("--ftype=basic --ascii=binary", tmpstr);

Personally, I like the names better because I don't have to keep the
imgtool.exe docs handy to see what code does what, but just having this
tool is great.  Keep up the good work.

Roger Taylor