[Coco] Sock Master Demos

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Fri Dec 19 00:47:28 EST 2003

At 09:25 PM 12/18/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Folks,
>
>Anyone used Sockmaster's demos on MESS?  I have had problems running DEMO2,
>HICOLOR, COCOTRACKER, and TWILIGHTTERM -- nearly all the stuff that is
>supposed
>to be awesome.  DEMO1 and BOINK seem to work fine, though.  I would love to
>know what I am doing wrong.  I'm using MESS 0.77 on WinXP, and I've tried both
>the 6809 and 6309 variants, to no avail.
|Some please explain to me why BASIC comes in 'BASIC binary" and 'BASIC
ascii'.
|Are not BASIC sources supposed to be .TXT files? Also, when placed onto
|virtual diskettes via IMGTOOL in MESS, often times I am unable to access said
|files (neither ASCII nor binary). I keep getting "FM? ERROR ..." or some
|variants. Have they become corrupt?

David, Sock's demos were definately created for a real CoCo.  I've seen a
few run okay in M.E.S.S.  Make sure you use DirectX mode and fiddle with
the sync modes, set the frame skip to 0 since Sock exploits the video sync
in almost every demo he has made.  M.E.S.S. needs to be able to keep up, so
I suggest at least a 500mhz PC.

One reason of having an ASCII BASIC format and a tokenized/binary format is
to allow BASIC programs to be portable between different computers.  BASIC
is a common language, so it's not uncommon for people to want to attempt to
run programs on machines the code was not written for/on.

The CoCo and most other computers do not run these programs in their ASCII
form, but instead use a compression format called tokenizing that enables
the interpreter to recognize commands very quickly, since they are stored
as a single byte, or sometimes 2 bytes for functions.

So, a BASIC program is always tokenized while it's inside the CoCo being
edited or ran.  You can choose to save it out in their format.  When you
save out a BASIC program, it defaults to the binary save unless you use the
"FILENAME",A  modifier.
You're probably saving in ASCII so you can move this BASIC program over to
another computer, or even edit it in any text editor, etc.

it's not the preferred method.

Speaking of ASCII BASIC programs that will run on the CoCo, but were not
really made *for* the CoCo...  the Sky and Telescope web site has tons of
space programs written in portable BASIC that your CoCo will enjoy.

In order for BASIC to know what format a BASIC program is stored in on a
disk, the filetype and ASCII flag has to be set correctly.  This is done
automatically by the SAVE command depending on what option you choose to
save as, but if you're wanting to take a .TXT file or any ASCII listing and
allow BASIC to LOAD it, you'll need to edit those parameters.  I don't lnow
any easy way to explain how to do that or where to find a tool.  Robert
Gault might have one?

If you're doing all this on a PC from M.E.S.S., the imgtool.exe utility is
great.  Please see imgtool.txt if it still exists for a list of options for
doing all of this.

Roger Taylor