[Coco] M.E.S.S. Printing

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 18 23:09:31 EST 2003

Brian Hostetler wrote:

> I was just wondering if anyone has figured out how to print graphics in
> MESS.
That is a different topic from the questions below. MESS has a screen
save option. The image will go into the MESS Snap directory.
>  I have figured out how to print to a file, which works fine for
> text documents.  I want to print several Cocomax drawings on my inkjet
> printer under Windows XP.
You will need the graphics commands required for the inkjet printer and
write an assembly program. The program will either need to be interfaced
with Cocomax or you will need to have Cocomax save the image to a file
and process the file with your assembly program.
>  I used to have a Star Gemini 10X and Cocomax
> has the driver for this.  When I print to file, it makes the print file
> about 32k in size.  Evidently this is in Gemini 10X printer graphics
> format.
It should be and if you could attach a Gemini 10X to your PC you could
route the file to the printer.
>  I need to figure out how to convert this file into a bitmap or
> anything useable by windows that can be printed.  The print file data
> does not look that complicated (hexadecimal).  Has anyone written a
> DOS/Windows utility to convert any coco printer graphics formats into a
> standard image type?  (It'd be pretty cool to make the print file's
> pixels round dots on a full page bitmap about the size of a 9-pin
> printer's) Thanks!
>                                     -Brian Hostetler

Your best bet is not to attempt any of the above. Do a screen capture
either with the MESS option or the Windows print screen function and
paste the image into any good PC graphics editor.

The first thing you will want to do is resize the image so that it
prints larger than the expected 2x2 inches. Then use the graphics editor
to print to your inkjet.