[Coco] snow-day story

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Thu Dec 18 14:22:57 EST 2003

At 08:52 AM 12/18/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Roger,
>   Your welcome to come to West Virginia. We have all the snow you would
> need to get over the xmax season. We are
>expecting a white xmas with snow xmas eve and day.
>
>John Donaldson

Heres a snow-day story...  actually, a snow-week story...

In Louisiana, we would give quite a bit to have the same.  White
Christmas'es around here are rare, but we do tend to get some real nasty
snow/ice storms like the one from a few years back that shut down life for
over 2 weeks, and over a month for less fortunate backwoods dwellers.

A valuable lesson was learned by thousands and thousands of electric
company workers... and that lesson was: trees grow bigger.  The sides of
the roads covering several states, including Texas, Arkansas, LA, and no
telling how many other neighbors were covered with snapped and bent trees
that just sat right down on top of the power lines.  Oops, lights out for
everybody at the same time.

Ice and snow kept coming in constantly, and you could hear large trees
snapping over like twigs all day long and all through the night, for
days.  It sounded like shotguns being fired one after another.

Here's the kicker:

On the first wave of this, I somehow managed to convince myself that I need
to attempt to go into work.  Remember, the skies were solid gray, there was
no electricity across most of several states,  trees were blocking the
roadways, sometimes laying right across the road making it impossible to
cross, and everything was completely covered with snow and ice.  Nobody was
on the road, but me!

So I'm easing into work slowly but surely, sliding all over the road almost
going in the ditches, not worried about how long it would take because
surely the company (if they were there) would understand.  The trip in was
an adventure to say the least.  It took over an hour to cover 3 miles.  And
just as I drove into "town" I noticed that absolutely nobody was stirring,
there were no vehicles that were not completely covered with ice, no
business was happening whatsoever.  Why would it?  I mean, it's not even
safe to stand still in this storm, so everybody was in this together and
dealing with it in their own way.  Just about 1/4 mile from the Coke plant
where I worked, I decided to turn around and ease back home to make sure my
kids and wife were safe.  To heck with an empty workplace.

Well... the next morning power was being revived in town only, so some
businesses were trying to come back, so the Coke plant was
stirring.  However, not a single speckle of snow had melted, and only more
had piled on.  I remember coming in ontime and being asked immediately,
"did you try to come in yesterday?"  "Why didn't you call?"

The nerve!  My chin dropped and I knew I was dreaming.

The phone lines were off in my area.  There was no activity
whatsoever.  This was something I had never seen, just calmness for miles
and miles, except for the snapping trees.  It turns out that EVERYBODY but
me and a few other employees actually drove into work (some drove from 15
miles away) and tried to deliver CoCa-Cola products to the town just like
it's a normal day.  I was not believing this.  Here I am, an employee who
never got sick over 8 years, and rarely took off for anything, etc. etc.
telling the company that they were crazy.  The nerve of this man to think
that we were actually able to help our community in some way by firing up
the Coke vehicles and "gettin' out there and doin' business" in this
unbelieveable winter storm that had at least 4 states shut down.

They never left the plant.  They just sat there all day looking out the
window, drinking coffee, and hoping it would go away.  By the time they
realized, hey... this is serious!  :)  it was too late.  The stories were
told that 2 high-ranking employees, my supervisors at the time, didn't
quite make it to their homes.  One had to abandon his vehicle and hitch a
ride atop a tractor for a few miles.  Awww.  And the other one got almost
to his house and slid off into the ditch in his brand new truck he bragged
about all the time.  Awww.

So, do you think this could have contributed to their anger for employees
who couldn't make it in?  Sure it did.
Anyway, that blew over with the snowstorm, so no hard feelings were kept,
as far as I know. :)

This has been another... snow-day story.

Roger Taylor