[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Re: Ouch!

jimcox at miba51.com jimcox at miba51.com
Thu Dec 18 02:03:42 EST 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 02:08:19 -0600
  Roger Taylor <rtaylor at bayou.com> wrote:
>At 11:04 PM 12/16/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>I recall learning to repair tube radios and digging wires
>>wrapped
>>around terminals out of hot solder. When the iron slips,
>>you gouge
>>yourself across the other hand with hot solder and the
>>iron. Hey, I
>>did learn not to do that.
>>
>>Neil
>
>Ah, my solder stories.
>
>It's not good when the iron slips off the holder and
>burns a hole in the tile on the floor, or the cord
>itself, or your arm, etc.
>Or... you think you have the iron outguessed and when you
>touch it *real* quick to check if it's warming up or not,
>you discover that it is, in fact, very very hot.  :)  So
>you do that little dance and maybe swear a few words, but
>then it's right to work... :)

About 15 to 20 years ago, when I was a younger tech, I
used to test thermal switches and one of the tests was
"high potting" them.  Basically we'd connect two probes to
two different points on the switch and run 1600 volts
through them and check for leakage.  Of course we were
only running in the micro-amp range, but you woke up if
you made contact with the probes.

Any ways, I used to just crack up and LMAO watching this
one older tech gradually fall asleep while high potting a
tray of switches only to jolt himself awake when he
eventually made contact.

No I'm older, and thanks to two different sleeping
disorders, I am having trouble staying awake on the job.
 Karma is a bitch isn't she :)

Jim