[Coco] Nitros9 3.2.0 6809L2 on real hardware

Ray Watts rayanddoraleew at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 17 12:45:44 EST 2003

Roger Taylor wrote:

>> You may already know this but just because you boot to a 40 or 80
>> column window does not mean you can't access a vdg 32 column screen.
>>
>> What is needed is to change on the fly a window into a vdg screen as
>> follows:
>> xmode /w# type=1 pag=16   * where # is any non initialized window
>> iniz /w#
>> shell i=/w#&
>>
>> The second line above may not be needed.
>

> I've always thought that the forced 32x16 was a bit ancient as OS-9
> was improved over the years.  There was really no reason why OS-9 L2
> couldn't have been preconfigured to use the 80x24 or similar screen
> and then make the user work hard to bring up
> the 32x16 mode instead.
>
> If all other things have been improved, it only seems normal for the
> stock video mode to follow the pattern.  But then again,
> there's probably issues that I'm not aware of.

> Roger Taylor

There are a number of OS-9 apps that will run only on a VDG window.
 Some, such as games, run even faster when on VGD.  I have even found a
couple of apps that run better on the vanilla shell as opposed to
Shell+, e.g., TSWord.  If you're gonna still run the CoCo under OS-9,
you gotta keep VDG windows around.

Griz