[Coco] Y2K fixes ever developed or posted?

David dbree at duo-county.com
Sun Dec 14 09:26:22 EST 2003

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 11:01:09PM -0600, Dave Kelly wrote:

> [...]

Several of the programs used a routine that did sort of a digital
countdown.  They stored $30 (ascii "0") and then subtracted 10 from the
year, each time adding 1 to the stored value until a negative # was
reached. This was the 10's.  10 was added back to the date-value and the
remainder, of course, would be the one's place.  I have a few programs
that would print the date for this year something like "*3", or some
such.

> On second thought, it is in the date module which is in the boot module. So
> save the date module, edit that and rebuild your boot module. This is the
> safer way and IIRC the CRC module will not work on a single module merged in
> with other modules.
> On the MM1, OS9 has several modules that need patching.

There was (still is, I think) a patch for RBF and dir on Daniel Simon's
website.  All I did was apply these patches and I modified my clock
module, but now I am not sure that the clock module even needed
patching.  There's a "setimex" program on RTSI that you can use in place
of "setime".  It will do a correct setime.

RE fixing the clock module, both Gene Heskett and I patched our clock
modules, to do a conversion before storing/retrieving data from the RTC
chip, but I notice that there's no such patch in the os9 project's clock
and it works.  Apparently the clock chip can store values >= 100.

> Microware did not fix the Y2K problem in OS9 until version 3.1 or 3.2.

They issued an upgrade for 2.4 - called it 2.9 which included Y2K fixes
for several utilities plus a few bugfixes.  However, the price was a bit
prohibitive.  IIRC, they were asking something in the way of $2,000.  I
didn't think I needed it _that_ badly.