[Coco] Startup File

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Dec 13 15:44:19 EST 2003

On Saturday 13 December 2003 15:08, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 12/13/03 7:05:42 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>
>robert.gault at worldnet.att.net writes:
>> I don't remember anything like a key press that will bypass the
>> Startup file. However, brute force could be used here.
>>  Use a raw disk editor either from a good OS-9 boot or Disk Basic
>> to change the name of the Startup file on the corrupted disk; S to
>> X for example. Then when OS-9 starts, it won't find a Startup
>> file.
>
>Say, did anyone else notice an L2 bug, whereby your Startup file
> could not be more than 256 bytes total?

I've never heard of that Mike, and I've had startups that ran well
above 4k a few times.  Currently probably 2k or a bit more.  I was
adding things one step at a time, like more active windows on startup
etc.

Length of the command line, now there is a real limit, seemingly much
less buffer there than there was in shells up to the last nitrs9
release.  Now I'm literally limited to about one screen line for
xmode arguments, and had to break the xmode command line into 5 lines
in order to convert t3 to t2 on the fly in the startup thats
currently locking up 30 lines before getting to that point due to
attr's of a new utils2 package I'd just made. :(

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M