[Coco] BASIC and Disk BASIC version numbers

Bruce Calkins bcalkins at disaster-relief.net
Sat Dec 13 07:20:50 EST 2003

> Bruce Calkins wrote:
>
> > The problem these controllers had with OS-9 is in the controller chips
>  > inability to cope with 1.78 MHZ operation.
>
> This is the first that I have heard about a 1.78 Mhz limitation for the
> first generation disk controller.
>
> -John
> wb8tyw at qsl.network
> Personal Opinion Only

One Reference, 'Tandy's Little Wonder" By F.G. Swygert, Published by FARNA
Systems.  Page 70, 2ed column, Referring to the 26-3022, "It is not reliable
at double speed disk operation even if DECB has been modified", and so on.

I have seen at least one other reference to this "issue", but, I can't put
my hands on it at this moment.

I have seen other references to this problem.  Quite simply the chip set
can't function fully at speeds over one MHz.  I lost quite a bit of hair
attempting to run OS-9 Level 2 on that controller.