[Coco] RGB-DOS & Ken-Ton SCSI (Correct Spelling)

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Dec 13 07:19:11 EST 2003

Chris Spry wrote:

> Been trying some other things on it with no success, even your suggestions.
> I even tried turning the system on with no HD attached and it still sits
> there.  When I take the Ken-Ton controller out it returns with a no hard
> drive found message, but when I plug it in (with power turned off of
> course),  it'll just sit there and do nothing until I reset.  Does it matter
> what slot I have the modified FD-502 and the Ken-Ton controller in?  If so,
> which ones do I use?  I am currently using a CoCo 3 modified 26-3124 MPI for
> this config and the FD-502 is in Slot 4 with the 4 switch active and the
> Ken-Ton in slot 3 (I've tried it in 2 and 1 with no luck as well).
>
> -Chris

It does not matter which MPI slot the Ken-Ton interface is in. Some
RGB-DOS versions would indefinitely loop with a hard drive connected but
powered off. That would mimic your systems behavior.

When you flip the cable, you "disconnect" the drive controller from the
Ken-Ton interface, and there is no infinite loop as the drive controller
is not seen.

It looks to me that there is a problem with the drive. Either it is
scsi2 instead of scsi1 or something that acts like damage for the
Ken-Ton interface.