[Coco] Dumb way to write 3.5" floppy in Coco RSBASIC?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Dec 13 02:38:09 EST 2003

On Saturday 13 December 2003 00:07, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 12/7/03 8:22:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>
>gene.heskett at verizon.net writes:
>> zmodem is slow (on the coco) shall we say?  That was with nitros9,
>> stock 6809 based coco's can only do about 450 cps before they drop
>> cts and stop the amiga for a second to catch up.  Supercomm being
>> the only Coco term program that I'm aware of that can handle the
>> automatic part of Zmodem.
>
>Don't think I ever graduated to Zmodem.  I used Ymodem a lot under
> XCom9, and that worked fine at 1200 Baud.
>
>I sometimes hear referencesto "rzsz" which may have been the
> successor to Zmodem.  --Mike K.

Same difference Mike.  "zmodem" refers to the protocol, and its sz or
rz that executes the protocol.  As the archive is shipped with the
title of rzsz-version.number, the rzsz name has become attached.
BTW, since version 3.17, the one you are running came from my
machines compiler.  3.36 I believe is the last one I built.

They also support x and y modem, so you can link them to those names
(sx sb IIRC), they check to see what the invocation name was, and
adjust their modes accordingly.  Link in the os9 vernacular consists
of making another directory entry under the new name that points at
the fd for the real program.

Dcheck of course will have a box of kittens over that as it didn't
check the link count in the fd IIRC!  One could call that a bug in
dcheck I suppose, but since we never had an "ln -s src target"
command in os9, well, ahh, mmm...  If I get my system back up and
running again, thats one of the utils I intend to write.  That, and
an 'mv' that picks up a dir entry and puts it in some other dir,
optionally renameing it as it goes.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M