[Coco] 3.5 in 720K vs 1.4 meg floppy diskettes

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Dec 13 01:51:40 EST 2003

On Friday 12 December 2003 21:07, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 12/10/03 11:08:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>
>bugster at cedarcomm.com writes:
>> 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy drive acting as a 720k drive.....works great!
>> I've put together several dual floppy drives with this
>> configuration and it works great with DD 720k floppy disks.  My
>> current config at home is this configuration (/DO is a 360k 5.25"
>> floppy and /D1 is a 1.44MB Floppy).
>
>Have
>
>>  yet to have a DD 720k disk fail on me (even formatted as 160k in
>> RS-DOS!).
>
>This makes sense, since the drive electronics sense whether it's a
> DD or HD diskette in there and adjusts the write current
> accordingly.  But keep reading ...
>
>>  Putting a 1.44MB floppy disk in and formatting it as double or
>> single density (720k or 160k under RSDOS)....sucks!  Very
>> unreliable.
>
>Hmmm, sounds like the drive fails to upgrade the write current for
> the HD floppy.  Maybe the OS has to help out in this, since you
> seem to get better results under OS-9 than BASIC.  Or did I miss
> something?  --Mike K.

I think its related Mike.  I have 3 3.5"drives here, all recent
purchases, and they refuse to do a 720kbyte format on an HD diskette.
I've come to the conclusion that they self adjust the data recovery
pll for a 500 khz data rate when they sense the HD hole, and
therefore cannot deal with a 250 kilobaud data rate even during the
write phase, usually error out of that within the first 2-3 tracks.

Taping up the hole results in a format that doesn't quit during the
write phase, but has a very poor performance during the verify phase,
often marking a major portion of the disk out as unusable.  Put a
regular DD diskette in, and everything is cool.  I have several
hundred of those from my amiga days so I'm set for a while.

Currently I've a major problem.  The boot is failing because I rebuilt
one of my utility packs thats loaded during the boot by the startup
script.  Unforch, when I did the re-merge using merge, I then forgot
to set the x and px attributes, so when the startup script gets to
that line it outputs an error 214, followed by a 221 and hangs the
boot.  No response to anything but the reset button at that point.
Is there any way to cause it to bypass the startup and drop directly
to a shell, thereby allowing me to fix it?

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M