[Coco] Another drive question

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Dec 13 00:06:59 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/10/03 8:46:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wdg3rd at comcast.net writes:

> Geez, I didn't even _try_ to configure (or even install) X on my first
>  Linux box.  386/25 with 4Mb RAM and a 60Mb disk.  SLS Linux from a
>  stack of 5.25" floppies about 5.25" tall.  March 1993, before anybody
>  put a distro on a CD and the kernel had a while to go until release
>  1.0.

You must win the prize here for the oldest Linux installation!  ISTR that a
minimum of 8M RAM was advised for X.  And 5" disks, wow.  I thought it was cool
that my first Linux *booted* off a 3.5" floppy.

> I needed some flavor of Unix, as my 3B1 had died the real death

That was a cool machine.  I was at Bell Labs when it came out, and some of my
co-workers ended up with one, real cheap, later on.  I wanted one for
software development (music software), but who would I give/sell my programs to, and
what would I do when the 3B1 broke (as you found out).

>  didn't get moved, as well as collecting a bunch of old Tandy Z-80 and
>  68k equipment.

I assume that includes a Tandy Model 16, the first home or small office
computer to use UNIX?  I knew someone who used one at home for his business, and
was quite satisfied with it.  Used to see plenty of them at the nearby Radio
Shack Computer Center, which dealt with businesses and schools, but was the place
to get the latest OS-9 releases.
  --Mike K.