[CoCo] 720kb vs 1.4mb 3.5" disks

Theodore Evans (Alex) alxevans at concentric.net
Thu Dec 11 02:00:00 EST 2003

On Dec 10, 2003, at 9:44 AM, Roger Taylor wrote:

> My CoCo's drive 0 is a 1.44meg 3.5", so I use the HD disks with a
> small sticky tab over the left hole so data gets written/read at the
> DD config.
>
> I have always heard not to put HD disks in a DD drive because of the
> difference in thickness of the disk surface, although before I knew
> this I had done this many times.  Every single one of my DD and HD
> 3.5" floppy disks are error-free to this day and I've been known to
> use them in various drive types from time to time.

I am in much the same boat.  I have periodically used 1.44 M disks for
DD, and have never had any problems because of it.  It is actually my
understanding that a number of years ago (when everybody who made
floppy disks were still making DD disks) many manufacturers started
using the same magnetized film to make both DD and HD 3.5" floppies.