[Coco] COCO 3 for LowFER transmitter?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Dec 10 22:00:00 EST 2003

KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

> Use the cassette relay to key the CW carrier.  If you run the carrier
> continuous and key the audio via the DAC, you'll be output MCW, which I believe the
> FCC has banned from every band (marine and Ham) for a long time, as a waste of
> spectrum space.
> Though the Lowfer band rules are probably different.

The last time I looked at the LowFER rules, it was 1 Watt input power
into a 50 foot antenna, including the feedline.

Frequency is 160 to 190 Khz.  Modulation must be completely contained in
the band.

With perfect conditions, a maximum range of 100 Miles was supposed be
achievable.

Modulating an AM tone for CW will cut your effective range considerably
from running straight CW.

If I were doing a Lowfer project, I would build a remotely controlled
transmitter in a weather proof container and put it outside at the end
of what ever antenna that I had rigged up.  Having a good ground plane
is essential.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only