[Coco] Re: optimizing

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Dec 10 00:50:01 EST 2003

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 00:28, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 12/9/03 7:22:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>
>gene.heskett at verizon.net writes:
>> Heck, if I want it optimized, I do it in asm in the first place.
>> I have that same degree from the University of Hard Knocks,
>> hanging on the wall right above me.
>
>1. Make it.
>2. Make it work.
>3. Make it work fast.
>4. Make it fit.
>5. Make it bug-free.
>
>where (5) is in play during all steps, and (3) and (4) may need to
> be reversed in order.
>Not that a PhdD in CS and writing 3 versions of UltiMusE gives me
> any right to tell Roger how to program.  No, that's not a joke.
> --Mike K.

Me either Mike.  OTOH, when I'm working in asm, I *know* I am the one
who has to keep track of stack usage and 'run a tight ship'.  I write
maybe 20 to 30 lines of code (average) a day that way, all thoroughly
checked and traced with os9p4.  Once I got into that housekeeping
mindset, it was actually pretty easy to pay attantion to the details
because it was code that once checked, didn't have to be rechecked at
the next assembly, and my productivity was probably multiplied by 2
or 3 over the write it all day, but build it once a day folks.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M