[Coco] Re: FLEX+ runs on a COCO3

Richard E. Crislip rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Tue Dec 9 01:26:00 EST 2003

Hello John

Did you know that Flex was ported to the Amiga and can be found on Aminet? I
got it running a long while back, but since I didn't have any software for
it or any knowledge of its command structures.. I kinda gave up on it. I
have since learned of the existance of the Flex Users Group, nut now don't
have a lot of free time to explore it <sigh>. BTW it is the 6809 version
that was ported.

On 12/09/03, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> jimcox wrote:
>>
>> Having never used Flex, I'm curious what the big deal seems to be about
>> it.  Could you enlighten me?  How is it better or different than OS-9?
>
> Flex-09 was the first commercial alternative operating system for the
> COCO.
>
> It is a single user operating system with some background tasks.
>
> Very lightweight, the entire OS, + editor, + assembler would fit on a
> single 35 track double density floppy.
>
> Unlike OS-9, it supported double sided drives on all of the COCO floppy
> controllers.
>
> I would consider it the equivalent of CP/M for the 6809 series computers.
>
> I could not say it was superior to OS-9 though.  OS-9 may be more memory
> hungry than Flex and fit better on a COCO-3 than a COCO.
>
> The sources to Flex are supposed to be publically available now, but I
> have not found a working download site.
>
> I wrote a program that allowed me to run COCO DECB under FLEX out of ROM
> with FLEX doing the screen and keyboard I/O.
>
> This gave me ROM basic with the 51 * 20? HIRES screen, and scriptable
> under FLEX09 control.
>
> For text based BASIC programs, that was my preferred environment.
>
> I could use the Flex text editor to write a BASIC program, and then
> script it into the interpreter and save it to a DECB formatted disk.
>
> That program only works with DISK BASIC 1.0, After I find a way to
> transfer the Flex disks to another O.S., I plan to modify the program to
> work with DISK BASIC 1.1 and post it.
>
> -John
> wb8tyw at qsl.net
> Personal Opinion Only

Regards
--
Cruisen                                                         _|_
              on AutoPilot with an Amiga   ---o-( )-o---   and a CoCo

                                             Richard