[Coco] PIAs destroyable by software on early CoCo models?

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Mon Dec 8 02:36:00 EST 2003

A general rule has always been that you can't harm any hardware using software.

I wrote a telephone pulse dialer for the CoCo once using the motor on/off
mechanism, and started playing around with how fast I could get the motor
relay to switch on and off.  The CoCo 2's and above make a click, while the
early CoCo 1's were silent.  You can definately hear a CoCo 2 or 3 when you
switch the relay on and off real fast.  Anyway... this never caused the
relay to stop working, no matter how I blasted it.  Why in the world was I
doing this?  I have no idea.  Some projects get out of hand.