[Coco] Dumb way to write 3.5" floppy in Coco RSBASIC?

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 7 07:32:00 EST 2003

Bob Emery wrote:
><snip>
> I fail to see how a serial transfer could be as easy, once you get used
> to PORT.
> <snip>
> peace,
> Bob Emery
>
> =====
> theother_bob at yahoo.com
> http://www.geocities.com/theother_bob
>
> "As a pessimist I'm either always right
>  or pleasantly surprised" -unknown

What you are used to is always initially the easiest but not necessarily
the best.

PORT requires floppy transfers. The file size is limited to what will
fit on the floppy. DSKINIs on the wrong machine can make the disk
unreadable on the second. The files must be placed on the PC hard drive
as an intermediate step. There is a good chance of giving incorrect
attributes to the Coco file during the transfer.

Null modem transfers handle files larger than can fit on a floppy. There
is less or no chance of assigning incorrect attributes. The files don't
need to be saved in an intermediate step as a PC file. Corrupted
floppies are not an issue nor finding the floppies to start with as they
go the way of the dodo.