[Coco] Another drive question

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Sat Dec 6 00:22:00 EST 2003

At 12:10 AM 12/6/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>They document their method, they have replaced the floppy device driver
>with one of their own.  Which is a method that I have mentioned.

I didn't see a reference to this on their site.  I'll look again.

>You need to write Windows 2000/XP device driver(s), and provide a special
>function to set the floppy parameters.

Easy enough. :)

>You might find it easier to write a COCO program that copies a COCO 256
>byte sector floppy to one that is 512 byte sectored, and then any host
>system with a floppy can read it with an application program instead of
>just limiting it to PCs.

Maybe.  This would require a new disk for every CoCo disk converted to
512-byte sector format.  I wouldn't trust overwriting.

>It would also allow it to work with PCs that have USB floppy drives, where
>you would need a different custom device driver.
>I have the same issue with OpenVMS, the floppy device driver does not have
>an API where I can set the sector size.  But if the COCO could produce a
>512 byte sectored floppy, I could read it on any of my systems.

I also thought the low-level sector codes that surround the actual data has
to be specific to the system or controller reading the disk?

{Roger Taylor}