[Coco] Disk drive questions?

Merv Curley mervc at eol.ca
Fri Dec 5 17:14:01 EST 2003

On December 4, 2003 04:34 pm, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Actually, since the drive selection has nothing to do with the floppy
> disk controller chip, one *could* decode those 3 lines used for drive
> select into 8 real enable signals.  So one could run as high as 7 or
> 8 double sided drives by using os9.  3 was enough for me, so I never
> explored that little tributary to increased storage.

Some one published in Rainbow a how-to-modify the Controller for 4 physical
drives.  You look it up,  but I did the mod ( a piggybacked I.C.)  and ran
4 drives on the 3 machines  that I had running in the house.  My old Ribbs
BBS machine sits beside me now with a case with 2 x 5.25 and 2 x 3.5 drives
( & 2 hard drives).  That mod was was essential to run my systems in the
pre hard drive days.  Patching the system was easy as I recall, but easiest
with OS-9.

Cheers

--
Merv Curley

Scarborough,  Ont

Libranet Linux  2.8   KDE 3.1.4   KMail 1.5.4