[Coco] Re: NitrOS9 on MESS?

Theodore A. Evans alxevans at concentric.net
Fri Dec 5 01:52:00 EST 2003

On 12/05/03, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I only know of one drive and driver that ignores the index pulse, and
> thats all 68k based amigas ever built, because they do read, and
> write, a whole track at a time with no regard to the index pulse.  It
> reads the whole track and a bit more into a buffer, and searches the
> buffer for the right "sector" address.

The Amiga may not use the index hole for native formats, but it
certainly supports it after all without it Amigas would not be so good
a writing (formattting) non-native disk formats.  The Atari, Apple,
and Commodore 8-bit computers did not use or even support the index
hole.  This permitted you to make a flippy simply by cutting out the
write protect notch.

--
ERROR: NO DISK SPACE...REWRITING OVER PREVIOUSLY USED SECTORS!
Theodore (Alex) Evans            | alxevans at concentric.net
94-1071 Kepakepa St. Unit #C-1   | http://www.concentric.net/~alxevans
Waipahu, HI 96797                | ICQ 78089262
x                                | (808) 676-0123         2B v ~2B = ?