[Coco] Re: 8" drive to 5.25" replacement?

Theodore A. Evans alxevans at concentric.net
Wed Dec 3 22:14:00 EST 2003

On 12/03/03, Gene Heskett wrote:

> No floppy, 8 inch, 5.25 inch, or 3.5 inch, was ever spun at 500 rpm.
> They either spun at 360 for the 8 inchers, or 300/360 for the 5.25
> inchers, and 300/150 for the 3.5 inchers.  And the only place they
> ever ran a 3.5 incher at 150 rpm was in the amiga hi-density, 1.76
> meg format.  It ran so slow you could see the motor cogging, and if
> it weren't for the fact that the disk is pinned to the spindle,
> making the playback cogging match the recorded cogging, it would
> never have worked at all due to the cogging induced data rate
> wibbles.

Sorry, just brain rot confusing the 500k data rate and the 360 rpm spin.

> But lemme tell you that the 150 format is a ticklish pickle, thats
> awfully slow under the read heads and the signal coming back from the
> disk is very, very weak.  I've looked at it on a scope and marveled
> that the data decoder could find good data in all those timing
> wobbles.

They work great for Amiga disks (at least my own), but were terrible
for trying to read or write PC format disks.

--
"I DO NOT...I do not yell." - Worf
Theodore (Alex) Evans            | alxevans at concentric.net
94-1071 Kepakepa St. Unit #C-1   | http://www.concentric.net/~alxevans
Waipahu, HI 96797                | ICQ 78089262
x                                | (808) 676-0123         2B v ~2B = ?