[Coco] Disk drive questions?

Ray Watts rayanddoraleew at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 3 14:10:01 EST 2003

ostro011 wrote:

>On 3 Dec 2003, Ray Watts wrote:
>

>>jimcox at miba51.com wrote:
>>
>>"I'd also like to ask again, how easy is it to drop a 3.5" drive into a
>>system.  I know I have the answer some where in the thousands of emails
>>I have saved, but I thought I'd save time and ask here.  Any pointers?"
>>
>>As long as your 3.5" drives will run double density (720k), and most
>>will, just check, all you need is adapters for the power and signal
>>connections.  The power requires a mini 4-pin female plug and the signal
>>needs a 34-pin female header. I have three CoCo systems up and running
>>and they all use  3.5" drives.  It is a pain in the butt for me when I
>>have to copy a 5.25" floppy because I have to hook up the drive with a
>>special header jumper I made.   BTW - by refitting the cover on your
>>drive case, you can cram three 3.5" drives in and still consume (I
>>think) less power than two 5.25" monsters.
>>
>>Griz
>>

>>--
>>

>Does this easy setup work through BASIC as well as OS9, or is your system
>OS9 only.  If a person has a set of two double-sided 5.25" drives now, can
>one set be replaced with 3.5" drives and still work in BASIC?

It definately works with BASIC also.  In it's simplest form, you merely
DISKINI for 160kb.  Of course, with ADOS, you can get the full 720kb,
but noone has ever shown me how you can copy an application from a 160kb
disk when all your drives must be the same size, as required in ADOS.
 Check the latter volumes of CFDM (sorry, I don't have the URL handy)
where I wrote about both the genesis of the Grizzly CoCo, which used 3
built-in 3.5" drives for both OS9 and BASIC, and the conversion to 3.5"
drives.  They are under the column "The Hardware Store".  Oh, yes, at
one time I was running a system which had a SS/DD drive, a DS/DD drive
and a 3.5"  720k drive tied together.  They not only worked fine in
BASIC, but I could also change the default drive by menu under OS9.

Griz