[Coco] RE: Portal-9 (was: The CoCo)

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Wed Dec 3 02:40:00 EST 2003

At 08:15 AM 12/3/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Roger,
>
>I for one have been checking out your Portal-9 application and even
>downloaded it and I must say I am really interested! As the older
>DOS-based tools like DSKINI.EXE and RETRIEVE.EXE are getting more and more
>obsolete with the onmarch of Windows XP, this is THE all-in-one package
>that will enable quick development and transfer of files/project between
>the CoCo and the PC. If you would throw in a disassembler function too (if
>you haven't already), then I will definitely register a copy!!
>
>Cheers,
>Fedor

Hello, Fedor.  I'm working on the ability to import files from virtual
disks into the project or to a PC directory just like PORT.EXE does, only
nicer.

Actually, if I can add in a BASIC program tokenizer/detokenizer (so
tokenized programs can be edited from the IDE and be made part of a
project), I suppose I could make a 6809/6309 disassembler.  I'll add it to
my ideas file and seriously consider this.

When I say project, I mean you can have a serious mess of "source" files,
in assembly language, BASIC, binary, text, fonts, or whatever... and when
you build the project by clicking "Go", everything gets translated or
converted into the desired format that is to be put on the destination
media, like a virtual floppy disk.  You can send files directly over if you
like without any processing.  Each component file is tagged in certain ways
to be converted like you want.

I suppose a binary file could be loaded in using a pre-translator, as my
detokenizer will do, during the "streamin" process as the file data is
being loaded byte-for-byte into whatever editor type is being used for that
file.  For a binary file, I could allow it to be converted into ASCII
source code while it's being loaded in, then it would have it's own CCASM
class editor window, where you could edit and tweak the source just like
you'd have to do with any disassembled program.

On the other hand, disassembling sometimes requires special instructions,
and it's not always a success

thanks for the input