[Coco] OT: Languages

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Dec 2 21:32:00 EST 2003

On Tuesday 02 December 2003 18:23, Richard E. Crislip wrote:
>Hello jdaggett at gate.net
>
>I changed the subjewct to more accuratly reflect the discussion
> 8=)... BUT there is an "E" language that is used on the Amiga.
> Haven't tried it myselfe, but quite a few others have.
>
>> David

I did, and wasn't terribly impressed.  Its data was typeless just like
arexx, its garbage collection ate memory like candy, and arexx was a
lot better documented.  Jim and I started to write EzCron in E, but
there were too many functions on the missing list, so we eventually
nosed around in Arexx and found what we needed.

So what I wrote on the amiga got written in arexx, and then eventually
compiled to standalone binary code by RexxPlus, written by a fellow
who does graphics work at fomoco, Mark Downing.  EzCron and EzHome
were both done in arexx as the src code.  Since EzCron was the only
cron that actually worked on the amiga's, we rather had a monopoly in
that software.  I'd still like to make a gui for vixiecron that was
half as usefull as EzCron's MUI gui was.

The sad part of that was that William Hawes, who wrote arexx on
contract for commode-door, was never paid for all his work.  He
should have collected at least a mill, maybe more.

As for the coco, os9 was it for me, as was basic09, C after we fixed
it a bit, and of course pure old assembly.  All were part of a very
easily learned time for me because the docs were so good.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M