[Coco] Coco Newby

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Dec 2 10:46:06 EST 2003

David

The comment about "D" was interesting. I had heard of it but never saw or heard of
enyone using it. If I remember correctly Unix was first written in "B". The
predecessor to "C". A Computers in Business class I took in 1971 used PLIII and
wrote a programs punched out on old IBM cards. Largest one I wrote was about 100
cards. Saw a person dropped their deck of about 300+ cards. Those were the days.
get one card out of order and the whole program bombed. Sometimes had to wait
an hour to just find out that you made a stupid typo. Punch a new card and make
sure it was in the right order.

Enough of that. I can state that after learning the Basic09 compiler for the CoCo 3
and OS9,  it made learning Fortran 77 a breeze. I was amazed as how similar the
two were in syntax.

I would not mind having an F77 compiler for OS9. Did a few engineering program
for filter response and design using F77.

james