[Coco] Coco Newby

Aaron Banerjee spam_proof at worldnet.att.net
Mon Dec 1 22:18:05 EST 2003

David,
    Speaking on behalf of those whose first computer was a TRS-80 Color
Computer (which by the way, is still operational), and now program for a
living, I'd have to say that the Coco is an excellent starting point.  For
one thing, the computer is relatively simple, and the books are awesome.
Since you already know BASIC, you probably don't need "Getting Started
With Color Basic", or "Going Ahead With Extended Color BASIC", but if
you're into assembly, William Barden's "TRS-80 Color Computer Assembly
Language Programming" is probably the best ML book I've ever seen.
   I was very impressed with the Coco documentation from the start.  When
I worked at the Patent Office, we'd call such references "enabling"
(meaning that someone who didn't know anything at all about cocos, but
otherwise had a good head on their shoulders could figure out what the
book was saying).  For example, the book which came with my coco disk
drive starts out by saying how disk is better than cassette, but by the
end of the (relatively short) book, you know about the file allocation
tables... (which are very similar to the PC -- or were at least).
   Currently, I program in a variety of languages (C, C++, Ada, Fortran,
and D {yes, there really is a "language" called D}).  Most computer
languages have the same sort of "thinking", which is most easily learned
with a simple computer.  The old addage of "Everything I needed to know I
learned in kindergarten" sort of applies.  I've found my coco knowledge
most useful when doing low-level stuff, like assembly.
   I actually used a coco for work purposes in a former job.  I was
testing rechargable batteries and used a coco as a "smart" recharger.
Battery voltage was measured via the joystick port, and the charging
current was controlled via the cassette relay.  Since I'd used up the
cassette port, I had to load my program using the DLOAD command (and
probably became the only person in history ever to actually use DLOAD)
from a PC.
   In summary, the coco is a great choice if you really want to understand
the computer you are using.  Get the following books/references if you
don't have them already (if anyone else on the list wants to help me out
here, please do)..

     1.  Getting Started With Color BASIC
     2.  Going Ahead With Extended Color BASIC
     3.  TRS-80 Color Computer Technical Reference Manual (use the memory
         map at the beginning of the book.  POKE around and play with your
         computer).
     4.  Barden, William.  "TRS-80 Color Computer Assembly Language
         Programming".  Radio Shack.  1983.

   I hope this helps.
              - Aaron Banerjee