[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 1, Issue 310

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Sun Dec 28 19:58:17 EST 2003

The C-one board does indeed look like the best "upgrade" possibility to a
CoCo 3. Apparently the FPGA isn't permanently programmed? I'm not that
familiar with those devices -- I thought they were "burned" sort of like a
ROM or PAL. What I'm reading in the C-one literature is that the FPGA can be
programmed on the fly? Okay, I'm way out of touch with electronics... haven't
messed with any in quite a while, and didn't do much back then...
The only drawback I see is the $200 price tag -- and that doesn't include a
real 6809/6309, case, power supply, or other peripherals. Could one of you
guys write the software to prgram one of these to work like the CoCo but
still keep the enhancements like PS/2 keyboard and VGA monitor? That would be
the real issue. And what about CoCo software? If games and such (DECB types)
won't run on it, is it worth the effort? Surely OS-9 fanatics have better
resources such as the Amiga 68K boards, other 68K machines, or even OS-
9000??? The only reason I can see an OS-9 person staying with the CoCo as a
platform is cost, which the C-one doesn't address. You can still find
complete CoCo3 systems for $200, monitor and all, maybe a bit more -- it
would cost around $400 for a complete C-one even if software for CoCo
compatibility was already available. Experimentation is a big issue, but that
usually circles back to cost.

Another possibility for the OS-9 users are the 68K Amiga boards also sold by
some of the C-one suppliers. Isn't there a version of OS-9 for the Amiga? But
then there's os-9000 too...

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent