[Coco] Re: optimizing

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Tue Dec 9 18:56:01 EST 2003

At 05:20 PM 10/18/2003 -0400, you wrote:
With modern, super-scalar processors, a human CAN produce better code than
an optimizing compiler, HOWEVER, it takes a lot of extra work.
>The general rule is: don't optimize before it works.  Once it works, you
>profile the code, see where it spends most of its time, and optimize that
>small part.  Because a lot of the time, the optimizations you make,
>without knowing what gets used the most, are not very useful, and make the
>code harder to maintain.
>
>I didn't get my B.Comp.Sci. for nothing. ;)

Define "optimize".

If John Doe is speed-optomizing Joe Doe's space-optimized code, what happens?

Anyway, my own general rule (derived from a degree in hardknocks) is to not
save all of the optimizing for last, so it won't be that much extra work.

cheers

Roger Taylor